ColorBlock Artist Application
Name of adult (if under 18 years of age):
Phone Number: ________________________________________________________________
Submit the following by June 1, 2021 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the Sculpture Tour office, located at 610 S Barstow Street, Eau Claire, WI :
- Completed artist application
- Colored sketch(es) of up to 3 different mural designs (originals or JPEGs)
- Up to 3 examples of previous original work (JPEGs)
- Artist statement: Tell us how your design interprets this year’s theme, “Progress”
Deadline for submissions: June 1, 2021
Chosen designs will be notified by June 20, 2021. Painting begins August 1 and murals must be completed by August 15, 2021. Sculpture Tour will provide basic materials, including paint (see Rules and Guidelines for colors), paint trays, brushes, drop cloths, and ladders. The artist must provide any additional supplies they wish to use.
Please contact us on Facebook at @colorblock.ec, or at email@example.com with any questions.
We can’t wait to see your work!
ColorBlock is an exhibition of original mural art, free and accessible to the public 365 days a year. Murals will change annually, rejuvenate an overlooked part of the city, provide opportunities for artists, and create a new destination for locals and tourists alike. All sponsorships donated to ColorBlock directly support Sculpture Tour, a local nonprofit dedicated to enhancing our city through free public art.
RULES & GUIDELINES
- Artists under the age of 18 may participate with adult supervision.
- Artists may apply as individuals or small groups.
- All proposed mural designs must be original to the applying artist(s).
- Mural designs must be appropriate for all ages, and for public display.
- Proposals will be juried by the ColorBlock Committee of Sculpture Tour Eau Claire, and will be subject to approval by building owner(s). These parties reserve the right to reject any proposal at any time.
- You may submit up to 3 different mural designs.
- Each mural site will be at least 40 sq ft. Shape and orientation may be subject to change. Designs should be submitted in rectangular format, either horizontally or vertically oriented.
- Proposals will be judged on the following criteria (in no certain order):
- Appropriateness for public display
- Interpretation of the theme: “Progress”
- Creativity and individual style
- Demonstrated artistic ability (previous work)
- Selected artists will be notified by June 20, 2021. Due to the number of applicants, you will not be contacted if your design is not selected this year. Please be encouraged to apply again next year.
- The following colors of paint will be provided by Sculpture Tour (based off standard color wheel, colors are subject to vary slightly): bright yellow, yellow ochre, cadmium red, magenta, ultramarine blue, phthalo green, burnt sienna, black, white. Any additional materials required must be supplied by the artist(s). All paint used must be outdoor latex paint, or outdoor spray paint. Sculpture Tour can reject the use of any outside materials at any time.
- Painting will begin August 1, 2021, and murals must be completed by August 15, 2021. Artists will be scheduled for painting at varying times during this period.
- ColorBlock requires all parties present to abide by COVID safety guidelines, including wearing PPE (masks) and social distancing. Safety guidelines will be evaluated on an ongoing basis pending the status of COVID-19.
- Murals will remain on display from August 2021 – July 2022. Some murals may remain on display longer.
- ColorBlock is not responsible for any damage or vandalism sustained to murals during this time; however, ColorBlock coordinators will make efforts to repair murals if needed.
- A stipend of $150 will be given to each selected artist or artist group
- Every mural design will include the artist(s) name, as well as the name of the site sponsor.
- ColorBlock is responsible for pairing artists with site sponsors, and allocating artists to each mural site.
- ColorBlock reserves the right to use images of in-progress and completed murals for marketing, fundraising, promotional merchandise, etc. on behalf of Sculpture Tour, 501(c)(3). Artist(s) maintain the rights to their design.
- Selected artists must demonstrate respect toward the alley, businesses, public, and other artists at all times. ColorBlock and Sculpture Tour have the right to disqualify any artist(s) at any time.
- No person, organization, business, or entity involved with the ColorBlock or Sculpture Tour will be responsible for any bodily or personal injury or property damage of any nature that may be suffered by the artists, associates or employees, agents or subcontractors, or any other business, entity, or organization, in the performance of this project.
Help us fill our city with vibrant art for the community!
Thank you for your submission!
Please Sign and Return by June 1, 2021, acknowledging that you have read and will abide by the Rules and Guidelines
Signature of adult (if under 18 years of age):_________________________